This is my neighbor's tried and true Quiche Lorraine recipe that she makes all the time for her family - Thanks for the recipe Kathy!
12 slices bacon, cooked very well and crumbled (diced ham can also be used)
1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
2 cups light cream or fat free half and half
¾ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
½ teaspoon white or black pepper
1 Tablespoon butter
1 refrigerated pie crust or ready made pie crust or make your own
1. Place pie shell into pie plate or quiche dish, crimping edges
2. Sprinkle cheese on the bottom of the pie crust, sprinkle the crumbled bacon on top of the cheese
3. Beat eggs slightly and add cream and seasoning and mix well
4. Pour egg mixture in the pie plate over the cheese and bacon
5. Bake in an oven that has been pre-heated to 450° for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 300° and add butter bits and bake for an additional 30 minutes or until a knife inserted comes out clean.
Cook’s notes: This can be made with or without the crust. It can be prepped ahead of time by cooking the bacon and placing the egg mixture in a zip-style bag in the refrigerator until ready to use. If you’re making this for dinner you can also make 2 and serve one the next morning for breakfast.