Inspired by a recipe submitted by Carol S. and Sue K.
7 Tablespoons unsalted butter or Kosher for Passover Margarine
8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate (I used an 8 ounce box of Baker's brand semi sweet baking chocolate squares)
7 eggs separated
1/3 cup of granulated sugar + 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
powdered sugar to sprinkle on cake
5 ounces frozen unsweetened raspberries (you probably won't find a 5 oz bag in the freezer section, just use part of a larger bag)
1 Tablespoon granulated sugar, or to taste
1. Preheat oven to 325'F. Use a portion of the butter called for in this recipe to grease a 9" springform pan. Make sure the bottom and the sides are well greased.
2. Melt the remaining butter, and chocolate in the top of a double boiler. When both have melted completely, add 1/3 cup of sugar, stir well, and remove from heat when mixture is completely smooth.
3. Separate the egg whites from the egg yolks. Beat the egg yolks with a fork and add to the chocolate mixture, stirring constantly until completely combined.
4. Using a stand or hand mixer, beat the egg whites until stiff. Add the 3 Tablespoons of sugar, beat an additional 20 seconds, or until combined.
5. Carefully fold the chocolate mixture into the beaten egg whites. Stir gently until combined. Pour combined mixture into the greased springform pan.
Bake at 325'F for 40 minutes. A toothpick inserted in the cake will not come out clean (the cake is meant to be a little fudgy)
Cool completely, remove outer portion of the springform pan and sprinkle cake with powdered sugar. Serve with Raspberry Sauce.
Combine thawed raspberries and sugar in a blender until smooth. Add additional sugar if desired.