(Prep Time: 20 minutes. Cooking Time: 20 minutes)
1 pound, dried fettuccine
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
1 Tablespoon butter
1 Tablespoon olive oil
6 cloves, garlic, minced
4 ounces low fat cream cheese
¼ teaspoon salt
¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 cups cooked chicken, diced
1 cup steamed broccoli florets
1. Cook fettuccine according to package instructions or individual preference, drain and return to pot
2. Mix together cornstarch and milk and set aside (you may have to stir a bit to mix completely).
3. In a medium sized saucepan, heat olive oil and butter until butter is melted but not browned. Add garlic and sauté until tender. Add milk mixture (you may need to stir it again before adding to make sure it is well blended). Stir constantly until mixture is thickened.
4. Cut cream cheese into small cubes and add to saucepan. Stir and continue to heat on low-medium until cream cheese is melted. Add salt.
5. Steam broccoli until fork tender and warm diced chicken in microwave or on the stove.
6. When ready to serve, pour sauce over drained fettuccine, stir in Parmesan cheese, chicken and steamed broccoli.
Cook’s notes: Rotisserie chicken and frozen steam in the bag broccoli work fine in this recipe. The chicken and broccoli can also be omitted and the fettuccine can be served as a side dish.
This recipe for Fettuccine Alfredo is very versatile. You can add your choice of meat, seafood or veggies to make this a one pot meal. Omit the chicken and you have a meatless meal or side dish. I've tried to lower the fat content of this classic by using olive oli as well as butter. You can further reduce the fat by using fat free evaporated milk or by substituting fat free half and half for a richer taste.