I may need to rename this recipe, Coconut Chicken Curry - light. This is a kid-friendly version of curry, not much spice at all. I came up with dish as a way to introduce my kids to some different flavors and spices. If you are a fan of curry you may want to add additional curry, some hot sauce, or cayenne pepper for more kick.
Slow Cooker Coconut Chicken Curry
(Prep Time: 20 minutes. Cooking Time: 5-6 hours)
1 Tablespoon olive oil
6-8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs or 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
¼ teaspoon each – salt, black pepper and paprika or to taste
1 large onion, thickly diced
8-10 small red potatoes, scrubbed and quartered
1 cup chicken broth
1 (14 ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk (look in the Asian food aisle at the grocery store)
1 Tablespoon corn starch
1 ½ teaspoon curry powder, or more if desired
½ teaspoon salt
1. Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Place chicken in the skillet and sprinkle each side with salt, black pepper and paprika. Brown chicken by cooking over medium heat 3-4 minutes per side.
2. Place browned chicken in a slow cooker.
3. In the same skillet you used to brown the chicken (don’t wipe it out!), sauté onions and potatoes on medium heat for 4-6 minutes, stirring often. It’s alright if they get a little brown. Add the sautéed onions and potatoes to the slow cooker with the chicken.
4. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, add the rest of the ingredients and stir well. Make sure the cornstarch is completely stirred in, as it often settles to the bottom.
5. Add the liquid ingredients in the bowl to the same skillet you have been using and cook over medium heat for 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly, until the mixture starts to thicken. Pour this mixture over chicken, onions and potatoes in the slow cooker.
6. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours.
7. Serve over rice.
See More Chicken Recipes Like Coconut Chicken Curry
Return to Dinner Menus and Recipes for This Week