This recipe for baked fried chicken gives you crispy taste with little mess. Like most kids, mine love chicken nuggets and fried chicken. I don't care for the fat content and certainly don't like the mess of making fried chicken at home.
The trick for making this recipe successfully is using non-stick foil. This is a relatively new product that allows you to bake foods without them sticking to the pan. For this recipe, the non-stick foil allows you to keep the coating on the chicken and not have it left behind on the foil. When using non-stick foil, place the dull, or slippery, side up. If you want to make chicken nuggets, cut the chicken into smaller pieces and reduce the cooking time.
(Prep Time: 15 minutes. Baking time 40 minutes)
1 cup buttermilk, or fat free half and half
6-8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs or legs
1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
½ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon dried oregano
3 Tablespoons, olive oil
Place buttermilk or half and half in a large bowl. Add the chicken
and toss. Let the chicken sit in the milk bath while you prepare the
2. Combine all of the dry ingredients in a large pie plate.
3. Line a rimmed baking sheet, such as a jelly roll pan, with non-stick aluminum foil. Make sure you place the non-stick side up, Spread the olive oil over the baking sheet.
4. Take one piece of chicken at a time out of the milk and dredge the chicken in the crumb mixture, making sure all sides are coated. Place each piece in the oiled jelly roll pan.
5. After all chicken pieces are coated and placed in the pan, turn each piece over. This helps to coat each side with olive oil, while still leaving some olive oil on the pan.
6. Bake in an oven preheated to 350°F for 40 minutes. After 20 minutes, use tongs to turn over each piece of chicken.